Saturday, January 8, 2011

Another new year

Miracle making
I've recently made an acquaintance in the doggie park, a young woman named Debbie, who I look forward to perhaps befriending. She came to me on a day when my mantra was on receiving a miracle on faith, so I see her as having delivered that. She lives conveniently close - in the houses behind my apartment building - and has been on a similar journey of discovering the self in the past year. She took the last year off to sabbatical, a once common practice in Europe and other saner human outcroppings. So, even though hers was on purpose and mine seemed to come about accidentally (within this plane of existence), we've traveled along similar enough paths to end up with similar new thoughts and feelings. Cool beans.

Cinema circle
Sometime this month I hope to host a Spiritual Cinema Circle gathering. I have subscribed to the circle, sponsored through Gaiam, since 2007, and so my library calls to be shared. I've at least Debbie interested and intrigued - she and a video-clerk vriendin, had recently discussed their enjoyment of such films. Plus, I've invited some friends from the "old" office not only for an evening at my house but also Films at Lunch. Even if it's just Debbie and me, it will be fun to try watching these films with someone else. They're not Nico's cup of tea (i.e. "too much talking in films puts him to sleep").

Snow news
Since that last posting on November 23, the snow has hardly abated. It has gone from snow to slush to ice to melting to snow to melting to ice a few times. We've had the typically beautiful days with delicately snow-tinged tree branches, breathtaking. Soon after the beginning of the "new year", however, I thought how nice the return of spring will be, when I can sit on the doggie path and watch a sunset without fear of freezing my face off. I must have been picking up on a local channel (or was I feeding it?) as this weeks temps rose from the 30 to 50. So perhaps - even today - I will be able to ride my fiets again. Joy, rapture.

Anal retentive
Hazel has a bit of a butt problem - an infection of one of his anal glands (not pretty words but news nonetheless). He's been on antibiotics and then doubled that. I told him that all this was unnecessary and he could stop with it now. Whatever the problem is that he (or I) are holding onto, we must let it go, if this is to stop. That investigation will be ongoing until we can meet with the vet again Tuesday. Phalanges crossed.

Posting
Nico has taken to employment at a company again. This time by TNT post (the privately run Dutch postal service). It is a part-time winter job, as far as he is concerned, but already his doing-it-my-way attitude has turned heads (at least to hear him tell it). So, who knows. His fresh ideas, full of simple self-evidence, might encourage them to keep him on somehow. We'll just have to wait until the snow passes to know for sure.

Quilting
As some of you on the inside know, there has been a quilt project in the works though all is now on hold due to complications out of left field. So, I have picked up an neglected project that I started ages ago - one in which all of the squares are complete. Is putting a top together also a pet peeve for anyone else? Needlessly complicated and almost unenjoyable? Well, the bright side is that once it's together, quilting can commence. And THAT is always a welcome activity.

Decor
Up and down go the Christmas lights and such. Now that it's down, my livingroom seems fresher and lighter than ever. I decided to keep the front door decorated, though, as it is something nice to see the smiling face of my Grandpa's wooden snowman when I come up in the elevator. I also bought a cute THUIS welcome mat for dirty hiking boots.

They are picking up and dropping off Christmas trees in front of the apartment building today. I remember last year the weather was so rough and cold. I felt sorry for the guy who had to stand there all day. I think they give away something to people who bring their trees which is why he's there (the Dutch will do anything for free stuff - no kidding).

Else
I attempt to go to the gym 1-2 times per week. I made dumplings for 2nd Christmas day and those were awesome, as usual. My cleaning lady still comes once a week and I'm still meeting with the "career coach", which is uplifting when it happens. I only go into the office to meet people for lunch. I will gain "indefinite Dutch residence" this July, after an application is filled out and approved (wonderful). I have loads more orchids now, filling my window sill.

All this catches us up on the past month or so, though I'm sure I'm missing loads of stuff. Thanks for staying in touch and may we have the courage to unlock the gates to love and forgiveness today and every day from this new day throughout all years to come. Hoorah!

3 comments:

  1. oh how i miss you, my friend! you've been on my heart and mind lately, too. as wonder would have it, we ended up at thaicoon last night b/c of friends' insistence...and i could not help but smile and think of you as i gorged on beautiful fish.

    my heart is light to read so much of this post
    xoxo ebk

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO GREAT to hear from you again! It's nice meeting new friends. Lot is going on with you. YEA to quilting, orchids, tree down, new job, gym, & Hazel getting better.
    Prayers Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to hearing more about Debbie and her journey that parallels yours. God has a way of bringing people into our orbits for a purpose - who knows what you both will learn from the other? It has a lot of exciting potential!

    SO sorry to hear Hazel has this, er, indelicate condition to deal with. :( Yucky no fun. Here's hoping it gets gone REAL soon.

    I agree the top is really a chore, I thought it was just me! The quilting is where its at baybee ;) No worries about the project on hold, we are here and ready to work whenever you want us. I need to get you the sample fabrics I told you about soon… please feel free to remind me if you don't get them form me soon - I am so scattered these days!

    We took down our tree last night, and I drove it to the place where they will mulch it for the parks. This is the first time I have done this and there were other people there! Some guy took it out of the van for me, offered me coffee and a doughnut and a seedling for me bringing the tree, WOW! Much nicer than the usual dreary chore that is taking the tree to the park by the river. Feels like a mob hit usually ;)

    What does THUIS mean? Welcome?

    Love hearing about what is going on in Holland and your life :) So am I to understand that you are now going to be a permanent European resident?

    S :)

    ReplyDelete