Thursday, November 11, 2010

French plum tart and pizza "recipes"

Tart
I put recipes in quotes because, well, it's just so darned simple.
  • small plums (or berries)
  • crust
  • granulated sugar
Start by placing the crust (self-made or store-bought) in a pie pan. Cut small plums cut in half. These were not the humongous domesticated plums you find at Kroger but the "naturally-sized" plums common here. They come in red, purple and yellow, which can make a beautiful tart, and are about the size of a ping-pong ball. I suppose you can use regular plums just cut up smaller but I you might miss the tart flavor of the smaller plums. But perhaps not.

Anyway, place fruit in a nice, decorative arrangement on the crust - usually from the middle out is the best way to assure a heavenly circular style. (See above photo for link to some arranging ideas and tart with peaches!)

In this case, be sure to leave the center open as this is where you will begin the cut when slicing. After arranging fruit, sprinkle a good coating of sugar overall - not to thin or thick, just so (the sugar mixed with the fruit juices makes that wonderful shiny gelatin which snugs fruit to crust). Bake. Eat. Enjoy.

Pizza
I forgot to mention the French-style pizza we ate. The vrouw cooked two different kinds, each with ready-bake, store-bought crust. I was absolutely bowled over by one of them, which I think she said was a norther- French style of making pizza.

Unfortunately, I didn't write down the ingredients she used that night and was too engrossed in the eating to snag a photo. However, I do remember her using onions and creme fraiche. Upon conducting a quick Google search, I found what seems to be a commonly-known French-style pizza recipe (from epicurious.com), which could be what I simply couldn't get enough of enjoying as it passed over my tastebuds that evening.
  • 12 ounces white onions, peeled and sliced paper thin
  • 1/2 cup crème fraîche
  • 6 ounces slab bacon, rind removed, cut in matchsticks
  • Freshly ground black pepper
I am not sorry for the onions - they simply make this pizza the delight that it is. I am only sorry that some of you who cannot tolerate them may never be able to enjoy this particular yummy creation. Still, enjoy the tart!

3 comments:

  1. That pizza is known as "tarte flambee" and is a specialty of the Alsace region where I studied. It's a rare find, indeed and totally yummy!! It's one of the things I miss most about Strasbourg. Not quite the same without the flaming oven cooking, but it certainly can be done in the oven. Thanks for the recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS-- I just eat with without the onions. Still very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanna go to FRANCE NOW… or Publix to get stuff to make this but I can't leave 'cause it's Star Wars night and Todd is out of town… These both look delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete