Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Kentucky cousins

There is one good thing about being a freakishly good planner - making freakishly good plans that enable me to see lots of places, friends and family. Like Dave and Lou whom I've seen loads of times at the home place in Illinois but never at their own home in Hopkinsville. I'm only sorry I didn't do it sooner!

To me, their home was like a little piece of Heaven. Of course, Dave and Lou wouldn't know me well enough to know my likes and dislikes but those of you who do will see it in every photo - from garden, to birdhouses, to their amazing little pooch. The only thing I couldn't capture for posting was the sounds of chimes both in and outside the house.


Back garden and house front.


Bird house collection inherited from Dave's mom, my Aunt Marilou.


Poor fellow stuck in the mud and fishes in the rear garden.


More treasure in the back garden and Shiloh, also a gift of Marilou. What an amazing soul! He totally knows more than lets on - just look for yourself, you can see it in his eyes.


Party in the sun room and Dave's beer paraphernalia collection display area. Whoa!


Whoa, you got it. The best ribs ever. Truly amazing what rib master Dave's got going there.


Shiloh doin' his thing (waiting for scraps to fall) and the party gets going.

The night I arrived, after a yummy dumpling lunch and tearful goodbye with the folks, Dave and Lou held a planned gathering of their friends - "the crazies", as they are affectionately known. Somebody had to help eat all those ribs, after all (where was Nico when he was needed)! A fun time was had by all, even after the party ended. My list of favorite relatives just seems to get longer.

3 comments:

  1. It looks like a little cozy retreat rather than just a suburban home - I can totally hear the wind chimes! Those ribs look GOOD… I'll help… ask me along next time :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky to have such a nice family...They seem to feed well.. I love the bird houses on the fence.
    Love & Prayers
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't get over the amount of ribs in that smoker! I should tell my brother-in-law. He loves stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete