Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Final ins and outs before leaving Illinois

What can this be?

Years ago, my grandmother gave to me two pillow cases embroidered by my great grandmother Fries. A few months before my trip home, one of the cases split as I was slipping it over a pillow. My sadness was soon over taken by the thought of Joyce Owens who had made some pillow cases I received for Christmas. Could she take these delicately embroidered edges and match it with new material, rescuing this artwork for years of future use?

What you see here is the material we chose - can't you just see this above that beautiful quilt I got from the RFD and friends? I didn't even consider that last bit until I looked at these photos again recently. Anyway, I hear we'll be able to get a look at Joyce's handiwork soon. Thanks Joyce!


Joyce and me in her little shed, work room. We all should be so lucky to have such a space.


Before I left, I had to have a few rounds of Yatzee with Gram. Here, you see one of Gram's winning Yatzee tosses worth 50 points. (No, Grandpa, she didn't cheat!)


And a photo of Gram and me before I accompany her to a 50th wedding anniversary party. Yeah, I get another use out of that great party dress! And don't you love her new haircut?



And, last but not least, one final fish and chips dinner with fried okra and two types of fish and breading. I love that my folks love to eat - anyone could see this is where I get my love of good eating and addiction to food over any other vice.


Gram chillin' out readin' the paper while Dad slaves away in the garage on frying fish.

After this, we headed to a final Miner's game in town. Always a great way to spend my last evening. Go Miners! (And, yes, they won.)

3 comments:

  1. Love the embroidery - what art! So beautiful and yes, it will look lovely with the RFD quilt :) I like Grandma's hair too - very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so busy posting...I love it!!
    Food looks great. Joyce does such fine work!
    Dress looks wonderful. (Again)
    Love & Prayers
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you were able to salvage that beautiful embroidery!

    ReplyDelete