Thursday, October 22, 2009

Photo fall

Autumn afternoon

Photos from a longer-than-anticipated trip one afternoon a couple weeks ago. Fall colors are coming out in full this year. Wonderful.


This and that
One of Nico's prized sunflower plant was blown over one night during a storm. I was the lucky recipient of the prized flowers. They didn't last long but I enjoyed them while they lasted. Another fruit of Nico's hunting, a humongous squash. I think it's a butternut. I haven't done anything with it yet but a plan is only a Google search away.

A piece of that pumpkin cornbread I made. It was pretty tasty but definitely needed the sprinkle of powdered sugar. Those are some hard nuts to crack! Nico holding up his broken nutcracker one afternoon.

Me in front of Johnies where we go for fried foods every Sunday. I am actually smiling bag in hand, only you can't see the bag.

Cooking with fresh porcini, yum!
Nico had been singing the praises of the "acorn bread" mushroom, translated from the Dutch eekhoorntjesbrood. I thought, "ok. Well, pick it and I'll figure out what it is an fix it." Turns out, it's porcini. Simple.

Slice, add some garlic, olive oil and fresh parsley, throw in some couscous and fresh grated parmesan. Done!

Welcome!
A new addition to the balcony, I'm not even sure how it's spelled. "Hay" is how this native plant is pronounced. One of my favorite plants.

And the new cut and color. Horns courtesy of Shiela and the kids. For Halloween, of course, though it's fun to just wear it 'round the house, catching myself in the mirror is a hoot.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Rhonda! I love the haircut, bike and the flowers on the balcony. I really enjoy the pictures you post. I should be doing more with the pictures I've taken. I know what you mean about missing people from work. It was a huge adjustment when I switched to full-time mom-mode. Looking forward to seeing your next update-
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your haircut is SOOOOOO cute! And the horns - I didn't send you any horns!!! ;) Did Nico eat all the M&Ms btw? One a day until they are gone!

    LOVE love love the sunflowers - they wee gorgeous! And I am going to put you to work cooking next time you come for a visit - thos emushrooms looked yummy. And I love hazelnuts too… butternut squash ravioli would be good. You guys can make it together - he can make the past dough and you can do the filling - or vice versa :)

    Miss ya girl - glad to see you are enjoying Fall!

    Love,
    S :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE the haircut!!!!! It is really cute, and I love the balcony "hay" flowers. They're just beautiful. Keep having fun, girl!

    ReplyDelete