Friday, October 9, 2009

Catching up

What an amazing time I'm having. What an amazing and totally believable blessing I am living! I wish I could always remember this, even when things seem to be going "wrong". Of course, there is no wrong, simply expectations not being met. That is one lesson I continue to hear over an over - remember that the root of suffering is in expectations. Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed. Cha-ching!

Looking at work
One of the most helpful reminders of that lesson is in returning to work. For instance, the first day I was to go into "work", I had already stressed myself out so much so that I was tired before I ever found my desk and sat down. It's gotten a lot easier since then but not without learning from this kind of easily correctable mistake.

Mostly, I've just been spending the last three weeks getting used to the environment again. I had to relearn a lot of the basic things - docking my laptop, logging onto my computer, checking emails in a new email program. Getting accustomed to an environment in which stress, deadlines and work is on the mind versus wellness, peace and play was an interesting hurdle to jump. I knew I would have to maintain positive mindfulness and, boy, was I right! Using that tool has been a real energy saver already.

I've also incorporated new things too - taking breaks every 15 minutes, stepping out on the roof at least once and drinking hot tea (instead of nothing at all, which was my usual habit). I located a desk that is near the bathroom, the kitchen, hot water/coffee dispenser, beside a window in a quiet location also near a couch (which I've still not had a chance to try out yet). I'm still scoping for a "nap" room, which my peers seem keen to use as well.

The easiest and best thing by far about going back to work (8 hours a week, 2 days per week) has been reconnecting with the people. I never realized how much I really loved so many of them until I saw them again. And they love me back and are glad I've recovered enough to return to the scene.

I have the luxury of being "unbillable", at least until I am on my feet again. This means I won't have the pressure of deadlines or project expectations until I'm ready. Priceless.

Waking up my muscles, again

I've been getting a workout in at Club Sportive located next to my office in the old lighting building, though my routine thus far has been to go there on different days than when I go to work. I've been reminding myself that though I miss my fitness pals at Blixembosch, I must move on. That lovely place is now over for me, others need it more and I am capable of moving into this phase now.

I like my new physiotherapist well enough. She doubles for me as a fitness coach. We meet every Monday morning at 8:30 and I work out 'til 10 or so. Thursdays, I go in again, in the morning, if able. Motivating my butt to go in when Tineke isn't there has been tough but so far so good.

Driving lessons
Already, I've had three lessons to learn how to drive again - except in the Netherlands, with a lot more rules. I'm waiting to receive a rule booklet in English. And there's a heck of a lot more walkers and bikers. Here, these "alternative transporters" rule the road, I have to watch out for them. I've wished my instructor could see Atlanta - where SUVs rule the road and pedestrians better watch out - just to see what I'm up against.

I'm being allowed to drive an automatic, right foot on the gas, left foot on the brake. This means that, if I pass all tests and get a new license, I'll be able to rent a car when I come back to the US.

I'm being given lessons in an SUV which is a bit unnerving. It's so huge on these tight roads with wonky intersections! I really crave my little Honda Civic which would also provide me better view of oncoming bikers.

The instructor is great and has been giving lessons almost as long as I've been alive. Driving test set for November 12. Five more lessons to go, next one next Woensdag.

Tot ziens and keep in touch!

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow. You are certainly going full steam ahead! Sounds like work is off to a great start - I love thatyou found the perfect desk with a couch (!) nearby! You know, I have always espoused the idea of drinking hot tea throughout the day ;)

    The new workout place looks awesome - and right next door to work, how great is that?

    I can't believe you are driving again as well! WOW! When you come back for a visit we'll go tear it up downtown! (uh, o.k. not really - no one should do that ;)

    Love ya!
    S :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can certainly sympathize with the adjusting to work life again-- I'm shifting from PT, where I am in charge of what I do and for how long and when, to FT, when I'm not in charge of anything and I have people to answer to. Not fun. Glad to hear you're learning to drive again. It can be freaky after not doing it for so long. I hope you find a good nap spot!

    -s

    ReplyDelete