Saturday, October 24, 2009

New recipe

No, you haven't come to the wrong blog. If you don't know me by now, I get bored easily so I updated the look of the blog again. I liked the way this template emphasized my new subtitle, "changing life for the better". Now, on to the recipe.

Apple 'N Kraut Pork Chops
If you saw my post on facebook, you know that I made a yummy dish from a recipe my mom gave me. She neither made it herself nor got it from a friend. She sent me a book titled Old-Fashioned Apple Recipes from Bear Wallow Books which she picked up on her last mystery bus tour. It has come in really handy with champion-apple-gatherer but last-place-chef boyfriend, Nico, this fall. I include a link to the  publisher website as they loads of great titles like Old-Fashioned Mushroom Recipes, Native American Recipes and Lewis & Clark, Adventures in Cookery. But I digress.

6 pork chops
salt and pepper (what you like)

2 cups sliced onions
2 cups sliced apples
1/2 cup raisins
1 tbs. brown sugar
2 cups sauerkraut (not drained)

Quickly brown chops in a skillet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Combine remaining ingredients in order given, give a quick stir and place in medium-sized buttered casserole. Arrange chops on top. Cover and bake in 350 F. degree oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. It's important to cover dish or else chops will dry out. Prep time: 20 minutes.

Could be good served with baked red potato wedges but I just served it alone. And yum! Again, I apologize for lack of photo. We just got carried away by the odor of baking sauerkraut.