Saturday, November 7, 2009

Shoes and soup


Two more pairs of shoes I bought a month ago. Already, that orange pair have a good coat of scuff love. Though my shoe size has increased by a whole size because of my brace, I no longer feel like Bozo the clown (poor Bozo gets such a bum rap). I guess all change just takes time to get accustomed to.

This makes a total of six pairs now and a woman with simple taste has got to be well pleased with that. I am thankful that I preferred comfortable shoes before. I'd just have one more thing to mourn over if I'd been a high-heeled gal, toch?


Fall is quickly cascading into winter these days. Just a fun couple of fotos which capture the daily ride with my pal, Hazel.

Speaking of my pal, his intestines have been on the fritz lately (description omitted). It was bad enough that his vet requested that he be brought in. He was given a couple shots and immediately there was a difference in his demeanor - more the energetic Hazel of old than the sluggish one since summer's end. Bonus.

On top of that, he was to be fed five days worth of special meals: a combination of boiled chicken, eggs and white bread. This meant spending Monday night boiling a whole chicken, six eggs hard and mixing them with a half loaf of white bread. Wow! Quite a treat for the little guy. And, boy oh boy, did he love it. But as the diet ended this morning with the last portion plus pills, he just as quickly snarfed down his old standard tonight. Goed zo, Hazel!


You might remember my facebook post of gratefulness for ladybugs, a.k.a. lieveheersbeestje in Dutch (good luck on figuring out the pronunciation). These are the best photos I could render of the blessed afternoon bugfest. Notice the one in close-up is black with orange spots. I'd never seen one of this type before coming here. As they were all together, I noticed loads of various patterns this day, orange with black, 6 spots, 2 spots, small spots, big spots. Who knew?

I assume they're still hanging out in my parasol but I'm leaving them alone these days as it's definitely not weather for balcony sitting.


Do you know this fun guy with a fungi? Well, anyway, another beest of an edible puffball! We dug into it this week after Nico filled it with savory goodies and baked it in the oven. I wouldn't say it was my favorite but it was delightful in other ways. As a funny side note, the stew stayed well-insulated even after he got back home from walking Casper.

Saturday, I made a yummy winter soup. I will post the recipe separately as it's quite lengthy. I've never made such a soup as I didn't exactly grow up a fan of carrots, potatoes or turnips let alone all together in one pot.

Hope you've enjoyed this post and thanks for keeping in touch!

4 comments:

  1. I have NEVER seen a puffball that big. wow - just WOW! It scares me a little ;)

    Glad Hazel is on the mends -0 and thanks for not giving us the descriptor - lol!

    We still are getting ladybugs in our house - in the kitchen specifically. Todd keeps catching them and putting them back outside. Anna loves holding them in her hands and "feeling their fuzzy little legs walking."

    I love your new shoes - they look very comfy and ultra hip. A great combo!

    Can't wait to see the recipe posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY CRAP!!!! How in God's name did that thing fit into a European oven?!?!?!?!? I'd be surprised that it fit into an American oven. Good thing YOU ate IT, and not the other way around!

    Cool shoes! I especially love the orange ones. They actually look quite stylish.

    Glad to see Hazel's back to himself again and not too spoiled after a week of treats. :) Hugs to him and Casper!

    BTW-- love the irony of Nico's shirt while holding the puffball. Very funny. I just love that shirt. It's perfect for him. Hugs to him as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Steph, that puffball did have to be cut down to size to fit into Nico's oven. Funny you noticed that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. join with me at:
    http://supriadie@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete